Thursday, December 17, 2009

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree...

Oh, how I love this time of the year!

There's something so special and indescribable about the holiday season. It's about family, friends, giving, kindness, and celebration for many of the religions around the world. Granted, I try to keep those things as my priority throughout the year and not just the holiday season, but there's just something a little different this time of year; something I just can't put into words.

One of my most favorite traditions that go along with Christmas is the tree. It's one of those things I just love because it reminds me of many good memories as a kid and something I looked forward to every year. I'm as enthusiastic about it now as I was then! So tonight, I thought I'd share with all of you our beautiful tree this year...


Oh, I apologize in advance for the quality of some photos. I don't like to use my flash a lot, so some pictures may not be as sharp as normal.





Here she is in all her glory! Since I was a little kid, my family always had a real tree. My dad was never big on the fake trees -- of course, there's nothing wrong with a fake tree (as I know a lot of people who have one). For me personally though, I've just always loved having a real tree. I think probably because it does bring back such fond Christmas memories from childhood. I also just love the smell of a fresh tree, even the sap that goes along with it. The first couple of years that Adam and I lived in an apartment, I didn't think we were allowed to have a real tree so I went with the fake one. Last year though, when I realized we didn't have to have a fake tree, I was on a mission to get a real one! Fortunately, Adam was onboard, so off we went to Home Depot, now our favorite one-stop Christmas tree store. They have so many wonderful trees! I still get so excited about it all. I always try to find one similar to what we had when I was growing up -- my dad was always a fan of the Charlie Brown-like trees, the ones that were kind of scrawny and not as full. That's a little harder to find these days, but I do still get the same type of tree each year (now I know you are starting to probably think, "wow, who knew someone could spend so much time talking about a tree").Oh, when I'm passionate though, I can go on and on...haha.

Ok, I'm going off topic. Now, a lot of the trees I see now are so beautifully decorated with matching ornaments, beautiful tinsel, very Martha Stewart (Adam doesn't have real strong opinions about the tree so he kind of lets me do my thing). I'm a fan of all kinds of Christmas trees, but for me, I'm very old school on my decorating. I've tried to take on the same traditions that we had growing up -- I must admit I can't wait to carry on this tradition one day when I have a family. I looove the big, old-fashioned Christmas bulbs -- they are similar to the ones my dad and Adam's mom say they had when growing up. They also always remind me of the movie, A Christmas Story, because that tree had the same kind of lights on it. I am a huge fan of colored lights so I make sure to buy plenty...haha. Anyhow, yes, I wrap those lights around the tree myself (granted, sometimes I end up doing it a couple of times before I get it right)! I also love the garland and have to have that on there. Now, the ornaments -- that is what makes the tree special. The ornaments have meaning. The regular bulb ornaments we got because it was just tradition - I've never had a Christmas tree without bulb ornaments and neither has Adam. The candy canes, another tradition. Then we have the more personal ornaments; Over the years, I've gotten these from friends/family that I've always kept and each year when I put them on my tree, I think of the person who was kind enough to give me the ornament or a memory that I have associated with it.

I thought I'd go ahead and share a few:


As you all know, I'm a BIG fan of pandas. Last year, my friend, Lindsey, gave me, Po, the Kung Fu panda ornament.  I just love it and to be honest, when Christmas season is over, I don't actually put him away with the other decorations. Instead I move him from the tree to the bookshelf where we put a lot of our other trinkets and figurines. Po always looks good hangin' on the tree though.




This was given to me from my good high school, cross country friend and her mom. It's one of my favorite ornaments because it brings back so many good memories of my cross country days in high school and of the time I spent with their family. They were always so kind to me and were always so encouraging, particularly when I may not have been running as well as I wanted. I just love the message too -- "Believe." It's simple and yet so significant. One of my favorite quotes from my cross country days was "God gave me the ability. The rest is up to me. Believe, Believe, Believe." That's one quote that I've carried with me through the years. Sometimes I know I lose sight of it, but I try to remind myself of it as I continue to build more confidence. I'm so fond of the family that gave me this ornament and as you can tell by the date on there, 10 years later (I still can't believe it) I still have it with me and on my Christmas tree every year.



This ornament here brings me back to my first Christmas in Columbus. My wonderful cousin, Joli, came down one weekend so we could do some Christmas shopping and one of the stores where we shopped, had a bunch of these cute teddy bear ornaments. I remember we bought quite a few of them to give at Christmas and then we both got one (actually a few) for ourselves, too. I'll admit that I had a hard time adjusting to things in Columbus for a long time -- it was hard to not see my family often. However, when I look back at my time there, I do miss it and the memories there. I sometimes wish that I would have given it more of a chance, but at the same time, I know that I can't look back and always second guess. In the end, things have worked out probably the way they should have. That weekend with my cousin though, was such a fun time and I love that I have this teddy bear to remind me of that weekend.




This little snowman here is also tied to our time in Columbus. During our first year there, Adam and I weren't able to go home for Thanksgiving so instead my mom and his mom flew out for the weekend before to have a mini Thanksgiving with us. It was a lot of fun and of course my mom being my mom, she had to bring something -- which were these little snowman ornaments. I have to say, they are pretty cute little guys, aren't they? That was also a really fun weekend - it was the first time that both Adam's mom and my mom traveled together and they had a great time, as did we. These little snowmen will always remind me of that visit.



This pretty pine cone ornament is from my cousin, Joli. The year after I left Ohio, I spent Christmas at my Grandma's and Joli wasn't able to be there so she sent Christmas ornaments for everyone.  Isn't it pretty?! I just had to show this one because I love it.



Ok, hang in there - I'm getting to the end now. This beautiful star ornament came from another high school cross country friend. I'll admit I don't know if I remember exactly when she gave it to me - I think maybe my senior year - but it's so sparkly and pretty. It also shares the honor of tree topper with one other new ornament that was added this year (next picture). Though my friend and I lost touch over the last few years, this past year I was able to get back in contact with her because of Facebook. It's funny too because the other day she and I were just talking about this star ornament and one that I gave her. I still can't believe that my senior year of high school was 10 years ago...where does the time go?? I'm guessing that's a question I will ask many more times throughout life.




Remember that other tree topper I mentioned above? Here it is! I just ordered this one a couple of weeks ago and was so excited when it came in. It just didn't seem right that the Kramer/Hogan household didn't have some sort of tribute to their alma matar and home state :o)




This guy I had to include because it's from the set of Rudolph ornaments we bought last year, I think? Adam is a huge fan of the Rudolph characters so these are his to put up every year :o)




Christmas Vay-caaation, Christmas Vay-caation. It's a little hard to see here, but from my first two words, I think you might figure out what it is -- a Griswold Christmas ornament! Last year, my cousin and his girlfriend bought Christmas Vacation (since it's almost impossible to rent this time of year) for all of us to watch and this ornament came with the DVD. I usually have to watch that movie at least once during Christmas season (along with While You Were Sleeping, Elf, and White Christmas) I just had to include it on here because almost everyone knows that movie. I think it's safe to say it's a classic.


Well, I could probably go on more, but I don't want to lose my readers! Seriously though, all of these decorations mean a lot to me. And though I may not be in touch with some of the people as much anymore, I hope that they at least know I do think of them still and every time I put the ornament they gave me on the tree.

I'm so grateful for the wonderful people who are in my life and for those of you who follow along on here, I hope you know that. My family and my friends are my life and mean the world to me. I know I am not without my flaws, but I so appreciate that my real friends and family accept me as I am (though I do strive to continue growing and work on my weaknesses).

To all of you, I hope you have a VERY MERRY Christmas and a great start to the New Year!

I am going to leave you with one just a couple more pictures tonight, just because I thought it was cute.

Merry Christmas again from all of us!


love, julie, adam, baloo, truman, and lucy



As I was taking photos for this post, Truman came walking over and looked like he was checking out all the presents.




Just a few minutes later, he moved from snooping on presents to kickin' it on the TV stand near the tree (there's a reason why we call him 'cool kid'. He just looked too cute that I had to put him on here :o). Mr. Truman-o just loves the Christmas tree (as does Baloo -- we can't keep him away from that water).



1 comment:

  1. LOVE this post Julie and all the details....love your ornaments...and I love that believe quote too...I forgot about it until now...thank you for the reminder...I'll e-mail you soon back...we are going to KC this weekend for family so I can e-mail in the car but not read posts:)...anyhoo...LOVE Your real tree...I would love to have one but they seem to break me out:(

    Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete

Followers